Now Accepting Applications for the 2023 Gallery Series Series
Applications are to be received no later than: 5 pm, August 25, 2022. Please read this application carefully as some guidelines have changed.*
*Some browsers are having trouble displaying the form. If the form is not showing up, ensure your browser is updated or try a different browser.
For 42 years, Allied Arts of Whatcom County has played an integral part in enriching and enveloping the arts scene in Whatcom County. Located in the heart of downtown Bellingham, the gallery displays new artists monthly. Each exhibit is a display of the widely diverse community of artists in our region.
We are excited to announce the beginning of the open call for artists to showcase in Allied Arts 2023 Gallery Series! The Allied Arts Gallery is an extension of Allied Arts of Whatcom County’s mission to create and foster an environment in which the arts are an integral part of our community and to support and encourage the arts and artists of Whatcom County. We are looking for multimedia and multidisciplinary artists to fill our exhibits in 2023. No previous gallery/ exhibition experience required! We accept and have the ability to display a wide range of work in the gallery space from large ceramic sculptures to handmade jewelry. Submissions are juried on their originality, subject matter and use of medium. Each show is curated by Allied Arts Staff, is on display for approximately 1 month, and consists of 3 – 5 artists each. This is an excellent opportunity for emerging artists to gain experience for CVs and artist resumes, interact with local art community, build a portfolio, and sell work.
To participate, fill out the application at https://www.alliedarts.org. The application period is from Tuesday, April 13th 2022 to Wednesday, August 25th 2022 by 5pm.
Membership is required for this series at the business level to participate, there are no additional jury, application or exhibit fees. Memberships can also be filled out online at www.alliedarts.org or are available in the Allied Arts Gallery at 1418 Cornwall Avenue, Downtown Bellingham.
For more information contact: Xandra Blackburn, Gallery Assistant at 360-676-8548, ext. 102 or email@example.com.
General Gallery Information
- Location: 1418 Cornwall Ave, Downtown Bellingham, WA
- Gallery Hours: Tues- Sat, 11am – 4pm
Gallery is staffed by the Allied Arts staff and volunteers.
- Each show will run approx. 4 weeks
- Allied Arts will send press releases and announcements to local publications and its membership. Artists will supply basic text and all photos.
- Allied Arts is responsible for exhibit installation.
- Each show will include an opening reception on the first Friday of the month, as part of the Downtown Art Walk. This will be open to the public, and staffed by the artists and Allied Arts staff and volunteers. We observe current state Covid-19 guidelines at each opening, and masks are currently optional, but recommended at all times in the gallery.
Standards and Exhibition Guidelines
- Application to participate in the any of Allied Arts 2023 gallery exhibits is open to all Allied Arts members, Business level and above, from all visual art disciplines.
- Participation in any previous Allied Arts event does not guarantee acceptance.
- Submissions will be juried and judged on the basis of design, technical skill, and originality.
- All work displayed must be of the quality and type of that was submitted to the jury.
- Allied Arts reserves the right to exclude items in the show not of the quality and/or category submitted for jury consideration.
- Artwork must be in good condition and ready for display – this means that it comes with frames, wires, or stands as necessary.
- 90% of pieces shown must be for sale.
- Allied Arts will take a 40% commission on all pieces sold in the gallery.
- AAWC reserves the right to offer a discount of no more then 10% on all pieces sold in the gallery. This discount will be taken from AAWC’s commission.
- All works must have been created within the past 2 years (unless otherwise approved).
Membership Requirements and Fees
We require that everyone who applies for any exhibit or festival, be at our $75 Business Membership Level. There are no additional jury, application fees, or exhibit.
To upgrade your membership, please check the appropriate box on the application form and include a payment for the $75 membership fee.
What are we looking for?
The 2023 Gallery Series will consist of 8 shows a year and will feature three to 5 artists per show. Any medium and most subjects matters. We prefer to show a range of 2-D and wall hanging pieces, sculptures and small works for our glass display cases . Show/exhibition experience is not considered in the selection process. Artists are selected based on their originality and approach to the media used and subject matter. Applications can include group proposals but all applicants must have memberships and must be equally represented in the application.
Jury Application Instructions
Applications are due to Allied Arts Gallery no later than 5 pm August 26, 2022.
Applications submitted for consideration must include the completed application and membership fees if applicable. If you wish to be considered for more than one medium, please ensure that each is well represented in your application.
How to Apply
Fill out the application online by clicking the “Apply Here” button, download a PDF version here OR pick one up at the Allied Arts Gallery at 1418 Cornwall Avenue, Downtown Bellingham. Drop it off at The Allied Arts of Whatcom County offices, located at 1418 Cornwall Avenue, in Downtown Bellingham. We are open Tuesday – Saturday, 11am – 4pm.
Mail applications to:
2023 Gallery Series
1418 Cornwall Ave
Bellingham, WA 98225