Deadline for submission: April 4, 2020
Exhibit Dates: June 5 – 27, 2020
Dress Poetry and Allied Arts of Whatcom County are joining to inspire poets to submit work for a show in the Allied Arts Gallery in June 2020, “Dress Poetry”. Our goal with this juried show, is to make poetry more accessible and visual. Dresses and poetry hold memory and can express to the world who we are. In celebration of changing norms on wearing dresses, and the 100th anniversary of suffragettes winning the right to vote, pull those pretty, powerful, dresses and poems out of the closet and join us for this exciting show. Dresses will be on display with their original poem or prose at Allied Arts of Whatcom County, 1418 Cornwall Ave., Downtown Bellingham, June 5 – 27, 2020.
What to submit:
- A poem or prose and a dress that corresponds with the message in your words
- Poem must fit on one 8.5” x 11” page (Word Document preferred)
- Teams and individuals welcomed.
- In the spirit of walking lightly on the planet please don’t buy a new dress for your entry. The original intent of this show is to pull a favorite dress out of your closet! However, thrift store shopping is allowed as well as fabricating or upcycling your own dress.
- If you have a dress but not a poem, or want to work with others on poems, we will be gathering for a Dress Poetry Workshop at Mindport on March 28th from 2-4. Sign up at email@example.com .
How to apply:
- Submit one picture and its corresponding poem to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entry email should include name, address, email, phone number and 2 attachments: picture of the dress and the poem (No identification of poet on attachments)
- A $30.00 donation is appreciated upon acceptance into the show to cover the cost of printing broadside posters of poems and frames. (Your framed poem will be returned to you upon completion of the show.)
- You may submit more than one dress and poem combination but please send each in separate emails.
- You will be notified by April 11, 2020 regarding acceptance and further exhibit details.
About the Allied Arts Gallery
- Allied Arts is responsible for exhibit installation. Accepted artists/writers may also have books, prints and cards on display during the show.
- Allied Arts of Whatcom County shall deduct 40% commission on all sales and pay the Artist no later than the 15th of the month following the end of the exhibit.
Questions? Email email@example.com