Whatcom County Arts and Culture Festival
Allied Arts of Whatcom County is working with organizations throughout Whatcom County on a three-day Cultural Arts Festival to take place in Fairhaven, June 22 & 23, 2018.
The festival will kick off with the Historic Fairhaven Fourth Friday Art Walk and run throughout the weekend. It will be a collaborative project with the Historic Fairhaven Association, Bellingham/ Whatcom Tourism Bureau, Sculptures NW, Native Arts Collective and the Whatcom Artist Guild and more. Funded in part by City of Bellingham Tourism, Whatcom Tourism, Whatcom Community Foundation – Project Neighborly Grants, and other local contributions.
The Fairhaven Village Green will be the main hub for booths and performances with Fairhaven businesses hosting specials and activities throughout Fairhaven.
Allied Arts of Whatcom County will oversee the coordination of the event. All groups are encouraged to apply. Activities and events will focus on the arts, music, performance, food, presentations and workshops highlighting the diverse cultural communities in Whatcom County with the goal of promoting cultural diversity.
Call for Proposals
Application for booths, workshop facilitators, speakers, and performers
Application Due: Thursday. February 15 by 5pm
No Jury Fees! Accepted applications will be notified by March 1.
Allied Arts of Whatcom County is excited to be partnering with Historic Fairhaven Association, Humanities Washington, Bellingham/ Whatcom Tourism Bureau and others for the first annual festival entirely dedicated to the diverse cultures that make Whatcom County so unique. The event is a multimedia exploration of our cultural backgrounds and creative community.
Whatcom region boasts close proximity to the large international cities of Seattle and Vancouver, BC and an unparalleled quality of life. With that springs a unique culture and creative community shaped by diverse backgrounds, traditions and influences.
Representation by as many cultures as possible is a goal! Participants are asked to create artwork, performances or food that is inspired by their cultural training and background. Participants of all skill levels working in all mediums are encouraged to apply. We will also work with the Fairhaven businesses to develop a roster of activities throughout Historic Fairhaven featuring different cultural activities throughout the weekend.
We encourage applicants to become members of nonprofits like these that support the arts and culture in our community. Allied Arts Membership is not required to apply for participation in Whatcom Cultural Festival, but it is greatly appreciated. To become a member go to www.alliedarts.org/store.
The following are descriptions and expectations for each type of opportunity within the festival. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Village Green -Artists, Food Vendors, and Business and Non-Profit Tables/Booths
1. Artist booths to sell their wares are available in a 10’ x 10’ format. Applicants must attach a long (25 word) description of the work they will be selling and what the items are made of to be used in publicity. Applicants must also provide at least 4 images (digital on a CD or printed hardcopy) of their work to be reviewed by a jury committee. Fee $100
2. Food Vendors spaces to sell food are available in a 10’ x 10’ format. Applicants must attach a long (25 word) description of the work they will be selling to be used in publicity. Applicants must also provide at least 4 images (digital on a CD or printed hardcopy) to be reviewed by a jury committee. Must have proper food handing licenses, etc. Sorry – no power or water in Village Green. Fee $125
3. Business and Non-Profit tables/ displays (3’ x 6’) are available as a part of the activities. Local businesses working in the arts, recreation and environmental fields can distribute information and sell their wares. Fee $50
B. Village Green and Sidewalk Performances
Live performances will be held throughout the weekend (especially June 22nd during Art Walk.) We are looking for music and performing arts that fit the Cultural Arts theme, for example but not limited to a musical theater performance or a musical performances representing our cultural diversity.
Please attach a description of your proposed performance. You may also send us a audio/video
recording of your performance. Include any facility requirements in your description. Performance locations are TBD and the information you provide will help us select the best venue. Please be aware that this a rain or shine event. Sound Technician/ Equipment will be provided by Groove Merchant. Compensation will be available for select performances based on funding.
C. Workshops and Presentations
The role of speakers and workshops at the Cultural Arts Festival are to communicate the importance of cultural identity and diversity, the rich quality of life and arts and crafts that focus on the uniqueness of our region and explores the connection between our cultural backgrounds. Speakers can include artists, cultural arts experts, diversity activists, etc. Workshops can teach anything from “how to take photos of artwork,” to kids piñata sculptures, to mask making and more! Workshop facilitators must provide all of their own art materials. Workshop holders may charge a fee for their class, with a small commission taken by the Cultural Festival partnership.
Please attach a description of your workshop/presentation idea to this application. Please limit the description to 1/2 page and include photos to help give the jury a better understanding of what you will be presenting or teaching. The locations of these activities are TBD and the information you provide will help us select the most suitable venue in Fairhaven.
D. Fairhaven Businesses
Fairhaven Businesses are encouraged to participate in the Whatcom Cultural Festival either by coordinating their own activity/ exhibit that we can help promote through the festival advertising or we can assist you in pairing up an artist or performer appropriate for your venue. Please fill out the attached form and indicate space available and any other specifics. $25 suggested donation for businesses to help assist some of the artist’s expenses. There are also opportunities to contribute as an advertising sponsor or become a business member of Allied Arts.
Submitting Your Application
- Click here for a PDF of the 2018 Cultural Festival Application, read carefully, fill it out and Mail to: Allied Arts of Whatcom County PO Box 2584, Bellingham, WA 98227
- Drop off at: The Allied Arts of Whatcom County offices, located at 1418 Cornwall Ave. in Downtown Bellingham, We are open Mon- Fri 10- 5 and 12-5 on Saturdays. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your CD’s or flash drive returned. Rejected applications need to be picked up no later than August 5th. Accepted applications will not be returned until after the festival.
- OR Fill out this application online by clicking the button below!