Allied Arts of Whatcom County is seeking artists and artist teams to compete in the second annual Door Art Throwdown. Are you ready for this?
If you are interested in being an artist at the event scroll down for the application.
If you would like to volunteer at the event Click Here!
Up to ten teams of four artists will create a mural on a repurposed door in two hours. Art walk participants will be able to watch the artists paint and vote on which team they liked best by "tipping” their team of choice. The doors will then be sold that evening through a silent auction. The teams will receive 100% of voters’ tips and have the option to retain up to 50% of the proceeds from the sale of their door. The team with the most tips will also receiving a $100 gift certificate to the 2012 Holiday Festival of the Arts.
Allied Arts of Whatcom County must receive a completed application and all registration fees no later than Friday, July 27th at 5:00pm.
Friday, August 3rd, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Creation & Voting: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Silent Auction: 8:00 pm – 9:00pm
Winners Announced: 8:30pm
Parking lot of the Federal Building, 1400 block of Cornwall Ave, Downtown Bellingham
FEES & COMMISSIONS:
Registration is open to the first ten teams at $25.00 per team. Teams may have up to four artists participating.
Artists have the option to either donate the entire selling price of your door to Allied Arts outright (your donation is tax deductible) or taking up to 50% of the sale price of your items. Please specify which option your would like on the application below.
2012 Door Art Throwdown Guidelines
1. Up to four artists can be on a team, and the size of the mural will be determined by the number of teammates. The team must work collaboratively within the allotted space and time.
2. Each team will receive one white primed door from Allied Arts, but participants must supply their own materials! Any mediums, materials and themes are allowed.
3. All teams must notify Allied Arts prior to the event if they wish for their mural to be exempt from the silent auction. Otherwise, all murals, including the winning mural, will participate in the silent auction following the Throwdown. Teams may choose to retain up to 50% of the proceeds from the sale of their door. Teams/artists will be paid no later then than September 15th.
4. Winners will be determined by the amount of tips collected in tip jars. Teams are entitled to 100% of all tips collected.
5. Each team will begin at 6:00pm and have until 8:00pm to finish their mural. Teams are invited to stay for the silent auction and winners' announcement.
6. Teams should also create work that is suitable for the Downtown Bellingham Art Walk, a family-friendly event. Works deemed unsuitable or obscene will be removed from the Throwdown.
7. Teams must sign in by 5:30pm on August 3rd in order to receive their door. Location: Federal Building Parking Lot, 1400 Block of Cornwall Ave, Downtown Bellingham
If you are interested and would like to apply, please fill out the application below and use our secure online store to pay your fee OR download a PDF version of the application here
and return to our office or mail it in with your registration fee.